Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 31, 2009

My inbox is full of pleas for donating blood

from the local blood centre. The weather is making the supply of blood critical; they're having to get blood from other areas and have had to cancel 22 blood drives in the last few days, losing hundreds of potential pints of blood. I'm O+, so I'm in demand since I can give blood to anyone who's got a positive Rh factor. They're open until 2:30 tomorrow. I think I'm going to call and see if my run of Keflex will disqualify me. I'm pretty much over the ear infection, but I'm still on antibiotics.

I don't really give blood as often as I should, maybe twice, sometimes three times, a year. But in my lifetime I've donated over three gallons of blood that went to help save the lives of others. Even though I hate needles, even though I'm latex allergic and have to be vigilant, I give blood. Here's a promo from the blood centre on the impact giving blood has:



Not everyone can give blood, of course. But if you can, consider doing so. It's really not that bad, and doesn't take much time. They even give you snacks afterwards to make sure you don't get woozy. :)

No comments: