Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another weather post

It's supposed to be 8 degrees tonight so of course my car door latch froze open again. A little WD-40 sprayed into the latch to loosen it and get rid of any ice did the trick after a few minutes. I'm keeping some in the car now for just such instances. I also have a lighter for if the door lock freezes, where I can heat a key, and I've been leaving my car unlocked when it's really cold, because I doubt anyone would steal it and there isn't really anything of value inside. And yes, I know not to mix the WD-40 with the lighter. That would be...bad.

Saturday it's supposed to be in the 30s and Sunday it's supposed to be near 50, so hopefully this will start melting, although it'll be a mess. I figure all told we got about 3-4 inches of snow in Lexington and about 1/2 an inch of ice. The melting is causing big icicles to form and they're falling from the power lines as people drive under. I guess as the thaw happens there's a chance that limbs will plummet still. My power's been holding. Our performance improvement director told me that if it goes back out, I should come to the hospital, plug in the CPAP, and camp out in my office or if they have a free room, there. Some of the nurses had to stay overnight because they couldn't get home and back. She said that was really a medical necessity and I shouldn't hesitate next time. There are some advantages to my job. :)

PS I was off from the store this week but someone quit and my boss called to see if I could help out Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. I have an appointment on Tuesday, so I volunteered to work the other two. I'm working 3-10 on Monday (a truck night) and 3-9 on Wednesday. What didn't I think of? 'Heroes' starts back on Monday night at 9. I cannot believe I forgot. I guess I just can't fathom that it's almost February. I knew that it was coming on February 2nd, but just didn't make the connexion when I looked in my planner. I am an idiot. I guess I'll be watching on the web after the fact. I need to put in a request to not work Mondays, I think.

No comments: