Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 02, 2009

99 Things

I won't call this a meme, because 'meme' really means something different than you see it used on the Internet (although I'll tag it that way to find it later). But here you go...

Things you’ve already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicise
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to - plain font

1. Started your own blog.
I started this blog in 2001.

2. Slept under the stars.

3. Played in a band.

4. Visited Hawaii.

5. Watched a meteor shower.
In the California desert, no less, on top of a car, with excellent viewing.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity.

7. Been to Disneyland/world.

8. Climbed a mountain.
Well, if you count Roan Mountain in Tennessee, which is pretty small.

9. Held a praying mantis.
I actually rescued dozens of baby ones that hatched in my mother's dining room and were on the wall. We took them outside. I've held lots of adults, too.

10. Sang a solo.
Yes, one of my most embarrassing moments in childhood and the source of my stage fright.

11. Bungee jumped.
Oh, no, not happening.

12. Visited Paris.
I've never traveled outside the US, despite being an Air Force brat.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch.

15. Adopted a child.
Maybe.

16. Had food poisoning.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
I've never been to New York. I'd like to do this in theory, but really, with my asthma and being out of shape, it's not practical.

18. Grown your own vegetables.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.

20. Slept on an overnight train.
I've never been on a train. I'd like to do this, though.

21. Had a pillow fight.

22. Hitch hiked.

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
Once.

24. Built a snow fort.

25. Held a lamb.
And fed them; my great-grandparents had sheep.

26. Gone skinny dipping.
No, but does sex in a lake and a swimming pool count?

27. Run a marathon.
You're kidding, right?

28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.

29. Seen a total eclipse.
No, but I saw one partial that was really, really close.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.

31. Hit a home run.
You're kidding, right? I got hit by baseballs and softballs in the head so many times as a child and couldn't hit worth anything.

32. Been on a cruise.
Actually, I want to go on the round-the-world cruise on the Queen Elizabeth II. Maybe if I win the lottery--it's several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
Well, I've lived in areas where nine generations have been. I'd like to go to Massachusetts where one ancestor came to the Plymouth area on the Fortune, the ship that came next after the Mayflower.

35. Seen an Amish community.
Just Amish themselves.

36. Taught yourself a new language.
Well, not fluently, but I keep trying with Welsh and Irish.

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.

39. Gone rock climbing.
Again, are you kidding? I am so not coordinated, and I'm afraid of heights.

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person.

41. Sung Karaoke.
Only at home, to Dr Horrible songs on YouTube.
No way.

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
I so need to travel more--although that takes money.

43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.
No, but I have bought strangers some gasoline.

44. Visited Africa.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
I've been to the beach, but never at night.

46. Been transported in an ambulance.

47. Had your portrait painted.

48. Gone deep sea fishing.

49. Seen the Sistine chapel in person.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling.

52. Kissed in the rain.

53. Played in the mud.

54. Gone to a drive-in theater.
Many times.

55. Been in a movie.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China.

57. Started a business.
But I have no business sense.

58. Taken a martial arts class.

59. Visited Russia.

60. Served at a soup kitchen.

61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.
I was allowed to be in 4-H or Girl Scouts; I chose the former.

62. Gone whale watching.
I'd love to do this. Back in the 80s I adopted a humpback whale through an organisation where you donate and get a picture of your whale. :)

63. Gotten flowers for no reason.

64. Donated blood.
Over three gallons' worth.

65. Gone sky diving.
Not even if you paid me.

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.

67. Bounced a cheque.

68. Flown in a helicopter.

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.

71. Eaten Caviar.

72. Pieced a quilt.

73. Stood in Times Square.

74. Toured the Everglades.
Only in the game, and that came with alligator men. :) If I ever do for real, hopefully things will go better.

75. Been fired from a job.
I have been laid-off, though.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.

77. Broken a bone.
Tailbone and foot.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.
Never, ever will I get on one unless I'm forced at gunpoint or something like that.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book.
Just a chapter in a book and a journal article.

81. Visited the Vatican.

82. Bought a brand new car.

83. Walked in Jerusalem.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
Several times, plus artwork when I was 8.

85. Read the entire Bible.

86. Visited the White House.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
I've fished, but not prepared the fish for cooking.

88. Had chickenpox.

89. Saved someone’s life.

90. Sat on a jury.

91. Met someone famous.
Well, local celebrities, anyway.

92. Joined a book club.I've thought about it, but never have.

93. Lost a loved one.

94. Had a baby.
I don't plan on it.

95. Seen the Alamo in person.
Somewhat possible; I have family in San Antonio who could put me up.

96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.
I'm not sure how I feel about the concentration of salt--or Mormons, for that matter. (No offence meant.)

97. Been involved in a law suit.
Does a divorce count?

98. Owned a cell phone.

99. Been stung by a bee.

Thanks to the Swiss Army Librarian (Brian Herzog) for this. How would you do? I obviously have a lot of stuff I'd like to do, mostly involving travel.

Okay, got to go. I'm doing this instead of working on the notes.

No comments: