Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, December 29, 2008

Today is sunny and relatively warm, in the fifties

and so far has been rather pleasant. Going back to work after having several days off seemed a little weird, but welcome. Tonight I'm working at the store (it's one of our truck nights), but hopefully this trend will continue.

I got up early this morning and decided to go to the gas station for some things and was glad I did because there is a police officer who comes in every day that we talk to whose son died about two weeks ago in his sleep (he was 26 years old) and I'd left a note for my boss about it. She got him a picture frame (the kind you can put several pictures into) and a sympathy card and everyone had signed it but me. As I was doing so he came in so we were able to get it to him. I think it really touched him and really took him by surprise. I'm glad I was able to be part of it. I cannot imagine losing one's child, either in childhood or as an adult. I know he's taking it one day at a time. Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with him.

Yesterday the game was fun. Our little group is in New Orleans now, after nearly having the plane crash over the Pacific when a Star Spawn of Cthulhu burst out of cargo. Gee, we've had a lot of plane crashes this year in the game. I gave the girls their Lovecraft books (I'd already given the gamemaster his) and they all really loved it, since it's a complete collection of his fiction. Brenda gave me a double-decker bamboo steamer that sounds intriguing; you can steam rice and vegetables at the same time, but it's small enough to actually fit in a normal sized pot or wok. Margaret had given me a gift card to a movie theatre last week. It made for a nice holiday.

Also, it was the last night of Chanukah. I don't have time to pull it off the camera now, but I'll post a picture of the last candles blazing that I took. I love Chanukah, and not just because of the lights and latkes. (And yes, the dreidels are fun, too.)

Okay, I've got to go on to work. Hopefully I'll write tonight--last night I was just too tired.

No comments: