Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 06, 2008

What I'm doing

Listening to: Live, 'Forever' (no video as of yet that I can find, but it's the first song that plays at the Friends of Live website, if you're interested.) I heard it for the first time on the radio tonight. Fortunately Ed Kowalczyk has a very distinctive voice, so I realised what band was playing.

Reading (or re-reading for the nth time): Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising. Yes, it's that time of the year again, when winter is coming quickly upon us. I love this series; it is my favourite fantasy series (even better than Harry Potter, although Earthsea might be a close second in my book). It was also the first I read, at least that I recognised as part of the fantasy genre, and it spurred a life-long enjoyment of many, many books under that banner, so that might account for my bias. They made an awful movie called The Seeker by butchering Cooper's story. Okay, the movie wasn't awful. It would be alright if it hadn't in any way attempted to draw from the book and then totally ruin the story and suck the spirit of British folklore out of it.

Viewing: Tomorrow I'm going to try to go see The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, which has been held over for one more week at the historic Kentucky Theatre. I mentioned it last month on this blog.

No comments: