Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A good start to the day

First of all, I got up early enough to not have to rush and was able to do a few things. I would have done yoga but I started my period last night and the video recommends against that. I learnt a long time ago that exercise on the first day was very bad for me. I also have to be careful of chiropractors' massage tables. I once wound up on the floor of the comic store writhing in pain so bad that I though birth was imminent. At that point, ibuprofen barely touches it. Same with any heavy exercise, like working out at the gym. So I avoid it. In a couple of days, however, it's usually okay. This morning I had a little time so I used a heated (gentle) massage cushion to ease the pain and relaxed quite a bit. I also got the trash ready to go out, made the bed, and got ready for work. I didn't manage to do the dishes; that will have to wait until tonight.

Another nice thing is that today is the first of two paydays for the week, and beyond that there was a debit that was supposed to come out of my account two days ago that is still in the pending column, so it didn't bounce after all, which means more money and I can actually afford some groceries plus toothpaste and body wash, which I was getting terribly low on. Yay!

Yesterday was the day of pizza. I had some for lunch, then we had more at the store meeting. I didn't get a chance to eat (and was stuffed from lunch anyway) because I ran the register whilst the others met (let's face it, I have been there three years, I know the spiel, having attended many of these). So, since my boss always gets a cheese pizza so the vegetarian can have some and they saved that for me, I got to take a whole pizza home with me.

I also found out yesterday that I'm getting a 20 cent raise at the store. I probably would have had 25 cents, but I got downgraded on my lack of suggestive selling. (I hate being suggestive sold to, and unless someone is already getting something similar or one item when it's a better deal for two, I don't do it very well.) We do make bonus on it, though. Fortunately there are several people who do it much better, so we do usually make goal, but there you have it. That brings me to $8.55 an hour, which yes, is still low, but I'm making almost as much as a shift leader without the responsibility, and let's face it, it's a low retail position. Fortunately I make a much higher per-hour amount at the hospital. If only it were full-time, I'd actually be pretty comfortable and could save more....

Well, I'd like to get to work a little early, and I need to stop by the bank briefly and get some cash. I'll blog later tonight, most likely. Hope you have a stress-free and safe holiday season, by the way.

No comments: