Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Halloween Wildcat

Today I dressed up as a zombie gas station attendant (hey it was kind of lame, but I didn't have much in the way of ideas this year). So I wore my uniform, put on white makeup with dark circles around my eyes to suggest the undead or a skull, and put fake spiderwebs in my hair and on the shirt. I didn't have a picture taken of it, though, even though I had my camera with me. The picture to the right is a decorated statue in one of our hallways. The artwork is by Virginia Leake and is called 'Blue's Cat'. It was donated to the hospital sometime after UK had their public art auction of wildcat (their mascot) statues (Lexington had recently done a similar one with fibreglass horses).

We had trick-or-treating for the kids at work; hence the dressing up. The kids come to each department and we hand out candy. There weren't that many kids this year; Fridays are kind of light on census and outpatient clinic visits. But it looked like they had a lot of fun.

The biggest hit in costumes were probably those of the information technology department, who all dressed up at iPods. They had white cardboard boxes with a transparent sheeting where the screen would be, and the buttons and Apple logo were printed on them as well. I remember one saying his screen kept fogging up. I wish I'd gotten a picture. Nancy was in that department; I think she would have approved.

I had thought to dress up at the gas station as a librarian, but 1) I wasn't working tonight and 2) it's a lot harder to dress as a librarian, even with stereotypes like buns and glasses. I don't have a long skirt and crepe-soled shoes, either. Basically, if I dressed as myself, no one would get it, work name tag or not. So, it's just as well I wasn't working tonight.

Of course, it's also a religious holiday for me. So I'm home early and enjoying some time at home. Normally I would make an offering, but I hate to say it, I don't even have spring water, and I miscalculated with my chequing account (I forgot an ATM charge for using another bank's machine), so I can't really get anything right now. Sigh. But I like to celebrate on Old Samhain, too, and that's the 11th of November. I'm sure things will be better then, so I'll give a libation then.

I'm going to spend some time tonight on notes. I don't have to be at work until 2 pm tomorrow, so maybe I can do notes and clean the apartment some. I'm working until 10 pm. Sunday's the game, of course. Then Monday-Wednesday I'm off at the hospital so I can do a massive cleaning. I still have to work Monday and Wednesday nights at the station, though.

Tuesday I'm off completely; I asked off at both jobs for Election Day, partly because I'd like to go vote, take a friend to vote, and check on the results throughout the night. A few years ago there was another big election and I took my friends to vote an hour or so before the polls closed and wound up being two hours late for work because we got locked into the polling place and it took so long for them to get through the line. This election sounds like it's going to be a record one, too. I'm going to try to go about 10 am and I'm taking my friend at 3 pm, so I'm hoping we can get around the big crowds. Mine should still be lighter, since I live in a precinct that is almost entirely my apartments, and many apartment dwellers do not vote. But I think that might be different this time. We have two big races--the presidential one, of course, and also the senate race between McConnell and Lunsford. It should be apparent how I'm voting from things I've written here (and the Obama graphic). But remember, no matter how you're planning on voting, VOTE! Exercise your right to choose your leaders.

No comments: