Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Okay, I know my camera is a very basic one

and doesn't really take sharp photos--especially of things in the sky, but the moon tonight looks like a giant dragon's eye with the way the clouds were reflecting its light, and you can see a little of what I mean in the following photo.



PS Speaking of the moon, I just have to write a note on Kid Rock's song 'All Summer Long'...I know technically 'shined' is a past tense of 'shine' just like 'shone'--and maybe that works for nouns like 'light' (although I would says 'he shined the light' but 'the light shone', but it just does not work so much for 'moon'); 'the moonlight shone upon her hair', rather than 'shined' sounds so much better. Check how many times 'moon shone' pops up in Google vs. 'moon shined', for example. General English usage puts 'moon' with 'shone'. I have only heard 'moon shined' twice in my life, both recently, once in the song and once on an advertisement. It just sounds afflicted, even if technically I can't prove it 'wrong', but maybe I'm too old school. Maybe it's a regional thing (he's from Michigan, I'm from the South). I don't know. I like the song (it's very catchy and sticks in your mind, among other things), but this just bugs me. :) Oh, well, my grammar's not perfect; I probably shouldn't complain. But hey, what's the use of a blog if you can't rant once in awhile?

No comments: