Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 30, 2008

An embarrassed alumna

Effigy of Obama Found Hanging From Tree

I guess we have racist boneheads at UK, too (but I'd argue they're pretty much everywhere). The comments to the news story are especially interesting, many pointing out that there is a very different reaction from people and the media of the incident vs. the gay couple who as part of their Halloween decorations in West Hollywood have hung an effigy of Sarah Palin and put John McCain on the chimney surrounded by flames like the Devil.

I think the history of lynching black people makes something of a difference. Nor do I think anyone is attacking Palin due to her gender--she and McCain were targeted because of their politics. But I agree that neither case should be treated like Halloween fun. I just don't think Palin's represents a hate crime (and wouldn't be treated as one under the law, which as far as I know doesn't recognise gender for hate crimes, which I think is unfortunate). The Obama effigy may be meant as a Halloween prank, or a political statement, but it strays more fully into hate crime territory. I don't support either 'statement', to be honest.

I definitely am embarrassed that this happened at my alma mater.

No comments: