Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, December 22, 2006

What a day (or two)

Yesterday was spent off work running errands, although I did buy one Christmas present. Today was equally busy, having taken off from work as well. I (in no particular order):
  • Did some errands with friends.
  • Got my mother, step-father, grandmother, friend, and gaming buddies presents. That took about four stores on various sides of town, fighting crowds and traffic, although it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Whew!
  • Treated myself to dark chocolate peppermint ice cream with coconut mixed in from Cold Stone Creamery
  • Ate lunch with a total stranger who let me sit with her in a crowded Subway (the restaurant, not the mass transit system, which we don't have in Lexington anyway). She is Catholic with 8 children We discussed Christmas and Chanukah. When I told her I was Pagan and celebrated the solstice, she gave me a crucifix carried by Pope John Paul II that she had brought from a recent trip to Italy and had blessed herself that morning, hoping that God would see me on the right path. I told her I was sure He would (although I didn't mention that it was not the God she was thinking of). :)
  • Got my hair cut (finally).
  • Got my paycheque from the gas station to find it more than twice what I expected, including meeting and bonus pay and took it and another cheque to the bank.
  • Received my first-year keyring set from the gas station
  • Received a stocking from my boss at the station, including a gift card to McDonald's, a pen, noisemakers, and candy.
  • Came home and put together the little candoliers I bought for the windows that flicker like a real candle (it's a fair reproduction). Then I got something to eat and I'm now blogging.

I still have to go work on the notes, so that's what I'm up to next. I'm working tomorrow, Christmas Eve, and Christmas at the gas station (the latter two are at 2 1/2 times pay, at least, and after all, it's not my holiday, so I offered). I'll go home on the 28th and visit family. The game is on hiatus for a couple of weeks, but I'll have pressies for the girls when we get back together. The Secret Santa party was Wednesday night. I got to see Natalie, Julie, and Upsorn, who have all moved on to bigger and better things. And there were so many babies there! I had a good time. It's always fun, although I get anxious before I go.Also, tonight is the last night of Chanukah, so one last present to go. Last night was latke night, and it was using a mix by Schreit's I believe, with vegetable flakes in them. Man, they were good!

No matter what holiday you celebrate, please have a safe and peaceful one. And may you have a happy new year!

PS I did have a gnosis last night as to why I don't live up to my potential. I went form excelling in school to scooting by doing the minimal effort, which I stll do, and in talking with someone I realised I had become depressed when my parents divorced and had stayed that way until I began treatment about three years ago--after I stopped going to school becasue of my health.

But now I'm better; I'm no longer depressed, although like everyone I have days that are better or worse than others. So I should be able to live up to my potential, if I just push myself to give that extra effort, right?

No comments: