Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Yipee!

Today is the first day since I went back to testing my blood sugar that I'm under 200--in fact, I'm at 140, or at least I was before breakfast. Compare that to 239 the day before. I've cut down on the sweets (I did have a half-piece of cake and punch yesterday at Dr Mier's retirement celebration, but otherwise I've been good and I cut out Pop-Tarts for breakfast and have replaced them with bagels (and eggs when I can) instead). Go, me. Hopefully that will mean this constant tiredness will abate. It's especially good as I am either having allergies or the beginning of a cold, and diabetes can get worse when you're sick.

In our cheques this morning we got a gift card for $75, which will help with holiday shopping immensely.

I saw my nurse practitioner for the last time yesterday. They're no longer taking my insurance after December 15th, and it would mean going from $10 to $50 a visit if I stayed. So, I have to find another medication manager. The good news is she found another coupon for a free bottle of one of my drugs, and set me up with about 6 months of refills for all the others so I won't get off my meds as I look for a replacement.

On a sadder note, I was sorry to hear that James Kim, the father who tried to go get help after his family was stranded in the snow, died in his attempt. He had set out after he, his wife, and two young daughters had been stranded for nine days on a road that was rarely ploughed, leaving items he had taken with him to mark his trail. His wife and the two girls were found a few days ago as they set out for help themselves.

On an unrelated note of weirdness (I might as well update all at once), a friend told me of a bizarre and controversial reality show called Armed and Famous, where Erik Estrada, LaToya Jackson and three other 'E' list 'celebrities' will be given guns, the training that reserve police officers get, and will go out on the beat with cops in Muncie, Indiana, after being sworn in as deputies. Beyond my distaste for reality shows (which tend, in my opinion to be neither reality nor entertaining, and are usually rather boring, as there is no real 'story'), does anyone else think this is a really bad idea--like among other things, a lawsuit just waiting to happen???? Do they go through some sort of elimination like in other reality shows? If so, how? As my friend said, 'oh, you shot a civilian, it's time for you to leave.' I know I would feel soooo much safer if I knew that LaToya Jackson was patrolling my neighbourhood. Um, right.

The snow is coming down in large flakes and making everything look rather Christmas-sy, and I have the little tree on my desk blinking away. I'm thinking of taking tomorrow and Tuesday off from work; I have about 28 days of personal time off accrued and I really need a break from all the stuff I've been doing outside of work. (But the shelves look great.) Plus I need to shop for the holidays. It's not a huge list, but Christmas, Chanukah, and Yule are fast approaching. Well, that's pretty much all for this morning. Have a great day.

No comments: