Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 16, 2004

It figures that the licence plate we love to hate

actually won Best License Plate Award for 2003.

WKYT 27 NEWSFIRST & WYMT Mountain News - Kentucky license plate wins top honors from national group

Mind you, it is a particularly customisable licence plate. I've seen stickers put over the smiley face to look like bullet holes or sunglasses (and that was a suggestion from the clerk's office!) I've tinkered with the notion of printing up some magnets to decorate it for holidays.

I used to have a licence plate that was one of the pay-more-for-charity ones that had a 'I care about kids' logo with...yes, a sun, as if drawn by a little kid. It helped fund child abuse prevention programmes. When I got this car, it already had the new plate. Somehow, the sun on my other plate didn't bother me. I think it's the Toontown (for those who remember Roger Rabbit) or breakfast cereal qualities that just make me want to gag. Well, that and the 'It's that friendly' logo. Fortunately, I don't really have to look at the one on my car that much, and they're now so ubiquitous that I ignore them on others.

No comments: