Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Area hospitals brace for mass swooning

As filming for Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown (2005) has begun in nearby Versailles (for those of you unintiated to the weirdness that is Kentucky, it's pronounced...and yes...I cringe...'Ver-SALES'). The movie stars Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, and Susan Sarandon, so you can imagine that fans are swooning, or at least appreciating a little glow from Hollywood (the last movie that drew this much attention was Seabiscuit, filmed in part at Keeneland Race Track, starring Tobey Maguire. The cast and crew are staying here in Lexington, so there's been a bit of celebrity-spotting (especially regarding Orlando Bloom, as you can imagine, who has literally set young friends into oohs of excitement with his looks, his accent, and apparently, his politeness (setting aside his lunch tray to shake hands and introduce himself, etc.)

Sigh. Okay, most of the swooning is for the 9-12-year-old set, but I understand--I don't go wild for Orlando Bloom, but I do quite 'get' his appeal. And I don't have the least attraction to Ashton Kutcher, who was originally slated to be in the movie.

Give me a man with a British, Irish, or Virginia Tidewater accent any time, and like so many other American women, I turn to jelly. I was watching the premiere of Stargate: Atlantis last night and although I do quite like the lead male actor Joe Flanigan, the one that I just clicked with immediately was the Scottish Dr Carson Beckett (Paul McGillion).

Incidentally, I was immediately hooked by this show. I loved the movie Stargate, and have enjoyed what episodes of SG1 I've managed to watch (oh, to not have cable!), but this one made me want to truly be a part of the team. It has a lot of potential, all the good aspects of, say, Space: 1999 and ST: Voyager (marooned in another galaxy, encountering new friends and foes).   Unlike SG1's stark military-mission style, this is about scientific and diplomatic exploration, with a very organic feel.
 
I'm hoping to be able to watch it regularly (and get cable before the new Battlestar Galactica series comes out). Now that SciFi is on our basic cable system, it's well worth getting.

No comments: