Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 15, 2004

How to wow everyone around you

feeling: Kind of surprised
 
Yesterday afternoon I took the plunge and had my hair cut short.  I had been thinking about it for awhile, but decided to go ahead and do it to express some solidarity with a friend who was going quite short after years of luxuriously long hair that others would kill for. I had been quite hot, which led to my hair just getting stringy (I have baby fine hair, so it doesn't take much for that to happen).  It also had gotten quite flyaway and generally a nuisance.  I wasn't sure, given how full my face is, how well a short cut would do (you know, little tiny head on great big body looks like a Weeble). 
 
The new lookWell, the lady who cut my hair had a round face as well, and took her time to shape and layer a lot.  And now...it's perfect.  It's poufy up on top,  where it normally just hangs.  I have a rather flat head, so I can't hope that the shape of my head really would help achieve height.  Granted, she put a lot of putty in my hair that kind of gave me helmet hair (and later, anime hair), but after washing it and playing with it, it comes out soft, with my natural wave put to good use rather than putting up a fight.  I saw my three dearest friends yesterday, and it passed muster.  One has been trying to get me to do this for years, but at the same time recognised that if I went too short it would be a disaster, having seen me do that once.
 
At work, I had people not recognise me, or just stop and go 'wow!'  Our resident dedicated-to-long-hair guy who mourns when women crop their hair had to admit that it was just what I needed, and that it worked for me.  So, apparently it was a hit all around. 
 
It's easier to take care of and takes a lot less work and product, which is great because I really hate to spend time on my hair. The biggest challenge, actually, is to do whatever I'm going to do to it quickly, because it dries so fast.

The other nice thing is that rather than accentuating my double chin(s), it draws attention to my eyes, which are a much better feature.  I look thinner, and apparently younger, which is nice,  as associate short hair with older women and was afraid I'd start looking my age. :)
 
So, I'm happy with the results.  I have to admit I was nervous when I realised how much was falling to the floor during the cut, but it came out quite nicely. 



No comments: