Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Okay, web design got the better of me

listening to: "Live' by Jennifer Marks (love that song)
feeling: Sleepy

Since I'm revamping a lot of web files for work, I thought I'd look into a decent, free web authoring tool. See, I'm used to coding everything by hand, because that's how I learned to and frankly, it's often quicker. At work we use Macromedia's Homesite, but although I like certain aspects of it (Dreamweaver, too), the way they tend to be set up gets in the way of the design process, especially with Homesite, where you go back and forth between coding and preview, and can't change anything directly on the screen. (And one of these days I need to figure out how to turn the automatic 'close' feature in Homesite off. Sometimes I just want to change the first one.)

Basically I wanted a drop-and-drag/WYSIWYG editor (for the non-techies out there, that stands for What You See Is What You Get; in this case, you can just move the text or images. But what are the chances of finding one that works and doesn't cost hundreds of dollars? Oh, and works on a PC, because I don't have access to a MAC for design.

And then I found WebDwarf V2: Free WYSIWYG Web Page Editor. It is exactly what I need, and it is indeed free. They have another packed with more features called Site Spinner, but I'm happy with these features for now. I don't know if I could use it on the station's pages, because I don't know if it complies with their standards--ah, the corporate evironment--but I'm free to play with it on my site, and I give you this as comparison:

The old version
-and-
The new one

I'd be interested if those of you with older browsers or something funky (non Internet Explorer) could check it out and see how it looks. And I'd be happy with any other critiques you might make. I think it looks more 'professional'. And you've got to love any company that uses a dwarf in full battle armour as their symbol--and offers so much power for free. :)

Oh, and if you try to download it and it doesn't work the first time, try again. I think there's a quirk at Download.com that gets a short little blurb instead of the 4 MB program download. I tried again and had no trouble.

No comments: