Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Politics of Language

Via: Immutably Me (who was not amused).

What do you think about this ad? (it's a video clip).

I actually have to admit, I laughed. Yes, it's a bunch of stereotypes strung together...akin to saying that the French are xenophobic shits (which isn't true, I'm just saying, stereotypes work both ways.) But it was well-done. Also, keep in mind, I'm a 'stupid American', and here it's all based on colour, with very little on nationality per se, so I don't think we quite grasp the gravity of Phonic, Cultural, and Nationalistic Protectionalism. Well, unless we're on the lunatic fringe who want all the immigrants--illegal and legal--thrown out and practically want to cut Spanish from the air before it can sully our Anglophone ears (despite the fact that the USA as a whole has no 'official' language, although not for lack of trying).

I think it would make a lovely college classroom exercise in fallatious arguments or how statistics can be used to make anything SOUND true (or yes, even how advertisers can use words to make the customer think whatever they like).

I also think it also says more about Anglophobes than anything else. ;)  Of course, I've always been more interested in descriptive rather than proscriptive linguistics, and think that anyone who takes language too seriously needs to lighten up (but at the same time, spelling and grammar is important in business, education, and, well, just making sure people don't laugh at you).

Of course, I'm not sure this was meant for wide-distribution (one commentor said that it was a demo), but I do know it would never be shown in the US because we're so terribly prudish in terms of suggested sexual content (a bed! shaking! with a shoe! off!) but kids can watch things get blown away without anyone batting an eye.   Ah the joys of living in a multicultural world--and I wouldn't have it any other way, although maybe I should be boning up on my French (I can read it, for the most part, due to my Latin, but my pronunciation sucks because I'm thwarted by nasals, just like when I took Sanskrit)--Canada is looking like a nice place to live.  I wonder how they are on librarians?
 
Also, I think it's interesting that the same person offended by the ad seems to have no compunction about equating the USA and the actions of our addle-pated politicians with the people of the country.  Don't blame me, I voted for the winner of the popular vote...it's all the electoral system's fault.

No comments: