Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 16, 2004

We did it!

It took until 4:30 on Friday morning, but we got me moved into the new apartment.

I got the key to the new apartment on Tuesday afternoon, and we managed to move three carloads (including a Ford Explorer) that evening, and another on Wednesday. Also on Wednesday, Dwana's stepfather Mike managed to come up for awhile, despite a severe allergy to cats.

I took off work on Thursday and Friday, though. Thursday two friends came over, one to pack more things, one to lift, and my mom and stepdad came up with the truck to get the big stuff. At about 12:30 my mom and John had to head back and one of my friends had to go on to work. Dwana came over after work and then her husband Eric came over once he finished up at work and mowed a yard. So, we had stuff moving almost all day. Poor Eric and Dwana had to go to work the next morning; he had to work a full day, but they didn't want to leave with just a couple more runs to go. I spent most of Friday on my mattress, which Dwana had thoughtfully put down on the floor with the phone and CPAP machine nearby. I was so dirty I had to take a shower before I went to sleep, even though I had just the soap that a resident had given Dwana to clean my hair with.

Things I kept thinking about blogging about but wasn't near a computer (and even now, mine's in pieces back at the new apartment).

  1. Krispy Kremes are a great thing for high energy during a move. It's easy to justify the calories when you're lifting and packing like mad. Taco Bell is also good when you have no idea where your kitchen stuff is.
  2. I feel like a Sim. I have a bed. I have a toilet. I have a refrigerator; just the basics. Obviously the bath and food were the most important things to unpack, so I got a least some unpacked first. Of course, I could find the bread, but not the peanut butter, so on Friday I was eating Miracle Whip sandwiches. I finally found the peanut butter yesterday, and nearly cried with joy. Of course, I didn't know where the utensils were, so I had to use my finger. Lowly peanut butter is so comforting, let me tell you. Last night I found the utensils, yay; no more barbarianism. By Friday I had the bed itself set up and the bedroom furniture in place; the dresser had been set in front of the window and I couldn't sleep without the light coming in.
  3. True friends are people who despite work schedules, health problems, stress, exhaustion, etc. still manage to give their all to help a friend move. I appreciate every one of you so much, and once we've recovered and I have a little money, we're going out to eat.


That's enough for now. I'll hopefully get the computer together tonight and fill up the aquarium (my two jobs for the day, after the game). Thanks again to everyone who helped and wished me well.

No comments: