Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 20, 2004

Then the rainstorm came...

Well, it was more like a deluge, starting with a few big dollops of rain just after I got into my car for the small yet never-the-same commute home. Just as I pulled in to the space the rain broke in sheets, and I went flying into the house as quickly as I could. After making sure that the computer was tucked away for the storm, I settled down for a thunderstorm nap, an amazing accomplishment given that I have a long-standing phobia of thunder. Still, the rain hitting the window was quite relaxing.

Today has been a fairly good one. Dwana was having a much better day, for one. She called the county clerk's office and they changed her vote where the guy had been so clueless. Yesterday she'd received word that her office was being co-opted for another duty. Today she's a little more used to the idea of the change and although she will be moved back to an office with three other people (one of whom is extremely difficult to work around), they're going to try to make accomodations.

I've gotten a little more unpacked. I'm filling up the aquarium a little at a time so that the fish won't get too shocked. Granted, I have the chemical that neutralises chloramines, but still, it can't hurt to be careful. I found my can opener today, so I was able to enjoy some canned pears. I was able to shift several boxes from the living room and thereby gain some room to manoevre. At one point I took Cerys out to the grassy area near the small wetland behind the apartments. She rolled and ate some of the grass, meaning she's back to normal. I sometimes think she's part horse, rather than merely dog.

Having grown up in Louisiana, I'm used to a sub-tropical type of swamp. The marsh nearby has a lot in common with the ones I played in...trees rising from the waters, large numbers of birds moving about, the sheer variety of plants, and that swampy smell. But the trees aren't cypress, they're willow, sycamore, and walnut. Instead of beds of water hyacinth, there are tall irises and cat tails. And of course, there are no alligators. We are supposedly out of the range of cottonmouths.

There's no easy way to get down to the marsh from our side. You can go over to the other side and walk down there. I could probably make it down on our side with stout boots or a weed-whacker, although I'd prefer to leave it undisturbed and watch from a distance.

I must admit my only concern with the apartment has to do with water. With the stream and marsh behind us and the parking lot actually about three feet above us, we're on a small floodplain. Although there has been some rainwater standing in the front near the parking, I haven't noticed any problems in the back, so that's comforting.

Okay, I've babbled on a bit. You probably don't care about the little swamp, but if you've known me or read this for any length of time you know I tend to notice the little things in nature most people pass by. Being near water, with the wildlife that results, makes me happy, especially since that was one of the things I thought I might have to give up when I moved. Still, I think it's time to say goodnight. :)

No comments: