Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 30, 2004

It figures

that with our first tornado in 18 years, Lexington-Fayette's silent sirens blamed on glitch or 'human error'.

Still, I'm glad they've gone to the effort of putting in the sirens. Having lived in Kansas, which is plagued by frequent tornadoes, our towns siren was quite a comfort, blaring every day at noon by way of test. Here they go off every Wednesday. I don't know if I can hear any from the new place; I was near enough to one at the old one to hear the sirens inside and the PA system to boot, because I lived near one of the high schools, and that's where it was located.

Since I don't have cable right now, and I can't get any of the broadcast stations to come in, I relied on Dwana to alert me during the second run of storms, and just watched carefully during the first. Fortunately it didn't hit on my side of town nearly as hard. We had hail and strong winds, and a lot of rain and lightning, but nothing else.

No comments: