Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 30, 2004

It never fails that when I move

something untoward happens in my new area. Once a man was shot to death a block away when I moved downtown. This area, which has very little crime, was spotlit in the following story about a house invasion and robbery again, within a block or two of my house. Once again, I know this because of Dwana who saw it on the news yesterday and called her friend Heather, who lives on that street. She's become quite the early warning system. Later she passed on the info to me. Apparently this is the second such case in the last couple of weeks.

I did have a couple of young men show up today supposedly doing something for school, although to be honest I didn't listen through the whole spiel. I probably shouldn't have opened the door. Must remember that next time. In my defence it was right before I talked to Dwana, and I was a little startled to hear my doorbell ring (and I'd been in the bathroom) that I just went ahead and opened it. Still no harm done. For the record, I have nothing really worth stealing, folks; my house is pretty much taken up with books, and none that would fetch much on eBay. I've always tended to worry more about my person and that of my animals in the case of a break-in.

Well, I think it's time to turn in. I did (finally) wake enough to unpack about four boxes and go get a friend who'd put in a 14-hour shift at work, poor thing. I feel a lot better. I don't think I quite realised how tired I'd become. I don't know if it was left over from the move or what. But I'm glad I got some rest, even if I did feel like a slug earlier.

No comments: