Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, May 03, 2004

An eventful day

feeling: Galvanised

Today I put several wheels into motion. Although I actually started looking for apartments online and in various print sources, driving around a few, today was the first day I actually visited a complex. I started at a former place where they still have a deposit because my roomates never left. But it turns out that they have only one available, its not much of a deal, and there's no way to re-assign my deposit so I'd still have to put down the full amount. So, I'm thinking that's a no.
I asked for details on some other apartments online and tomorrow I'm checking out some in person. Dwana has me all but moved into some between Man O War and Squires Road called Cove Lake. I was intrigued by the location and told her about it, and it's not that far from where she lives, so she drove over there, then took me over tonight to get a feel for it. There aren't balconies or patios but there are fairly large windows. One of the online guides is offering a coupon for $150 off the rent for six months for that particular complex, which could be very good.

I asked receiving to save me boxes and asked for the rest of the week off from work. I have over a month's vacation saved up, and there's a conference later in the week that will tie up many of the staff, so there wasn't any trouble. I let several people know, in a matter-of-fact rather than emotionally broken-down kind of way, and several have offered to help. I'm handling things better emotionally this week, I guess because my hormones have shifted. Yay for menstrual rather than pre-menstrual.

I also talked to the hospital administrator in an attempt to get my hours back. I don't know if it will bear any fruit, but it couldn't hurt. We're in a better position in terms of the budget than we'd expected; we're actually getting a raise and they're hiring more positions, so it was a good time to ask, especially since they'll be doing the budget for next year soon. Turns out the committee that would make that decision is meeting tomorrow, so I should know by tomorrow afternoon.

I also put in an application with Walgreens as a pharmacy tech or photo processor. It's nearby and I think my knowledge of medical terminology would help (with the former); they don't require experience; they'll train. They ask for the last three jobs, which weren't in retail in my case, so I'm not sure if they'll call. I really do have a lot of experience as a cashier and merchandiser; I even helped run a comic store for a year, but it didn't really come out in the application and there was no 'what else do you think will help' section, unfortunately. Still, it's a foot in the door. And no, it wouldn't help to go to the store directly and fill out an application there...they direct you to a computer and have you do the same thing. :)

So, anyway, I'm in an apartment/job hunt mode this week. I'll probably blog somewhat sporadically, although I may have to let off some steam. Wish me luck.

I also helped Dwana pick out a dress for graduation. It was probably the fasted shopping experience the store had ever seen, but it's a beautiful bright blue dress that really brings out her eyes and is short enough not to trip over. And apparently it's comfy. Can you go wrong? :) I'll find her dresses, if she'll find me apartments.

I also remembered while working at my second job that I had to get my driver's licence renewed today. The sad thing, of course, is that I'll have the change the blasted thing in a week or so after I get a new address, and that's another 8 bucks. But, sure as anything, if I let it expire I'd 1) be pulled over for something and 2) have to go through some sort of rigamorole to get a new one. So it just seemed safer to get it done. Ironically, the picture of me is great, although the way they tend to blow up the face compared to the old style is a little unnerving. Oh, well.

Well, goodnight. I need to send an e-mail to my mom and let her know what's going on.

No comments: