Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 16, 2012

Listening to:

'Stolen Child' by Loreena McKennitt

But I was watching Netflix earlier. First I watched an episode of 'Rosemary & Thyme', which is a fine British mystery. Then I looked up the first season (series 5) of 'Doctor Who' with Matt Smith. See, I actually didn't watch much of that season. My recording of "Victory of the Daleks" was messed up, kept going out, and I got behind. Then eventually I started watching series 6, but never actually completed series 5.

Now that Amy Pond and Rory Williams' tenure on 'Doctor Who' Is finished, I thought I'd go back and watch those missed episodes, back to the first days, when both the Doctor and the Ponds were new. So I watched the Dalek episode, and enjoyed it. The next on, "The Time of Angels" was queued up and starting when I realised I just couldn't watch it tonight. It was the first episode with both River Song and Amy, and of course it has the Weeping Angels, which figured so prominently in the last episode. Alex Kingston, the actress who plays River [and I won't go into the significance of both women in the same episode, as that would involve, as she would put it, 'Spoilers!' for those who haven't watched], mentioned that it was fitting that the last episode with both of them would involve the Angels, given the beginning with "The Time of Angels". And it is fitting. But I couldn't watch it right then. Perhaps tomorrow. But it was just too close after what happened with Amy and Rory. I suppose it's a little silly, getting so emotional about a television programme, but hey, it's the one show these days I really do put some passion into. It's certainly my favourite science fiction show as of now. I grew up with the fourth Doctor, and I'm glad they revived the series. I didn't have BBCAmerica for awhile, or even cable, and missed a lot of the 9th and 10th Doctors, but I plan to go back and watch those, too. That this show has been going on since before I was born is a wonderful thing, especially as I am 45. Next year it will turn 50. That's just amazing. And the folks writing and producing the programme now are top notch. So even though I don't watch much TV, the Doctor is the main reason I keep my cable.

No comments: