Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 29, 2012

I had some disappointing news on two fronts today

but the good thing is neither is major, and the will be virtually meaningless in the long run. I just have to have a little bit of patience. That being said, that doesn't mean I wasn't bummed. Still, overall it was a good day. I had my doctor's appointment, picked up some medicine from the pharmacy, got some groceries, and got my rent in to the leasing office. It was very productive. I think I almost broke a three-year-old, who'd had a very long day, was hungry and cranky, and probably got home with precious moments before a total tantrum evolved, but he did really well up to that point. Thanks for everyone who tagged along with me and got me where I needed to go.

Yet again the cart at Kroger died, although this time it was right at the U-Scan. Since I was there, I started to put my things on the unit and the lady was like, 'Do you have more than 15 items?' Mind you, I had a bit more than that, but the carts on those things are fairly small. I also had a dead scooter with someone trying to go find me another. Also, there was not a soul in the express U-Scan, and there were five other units free. Still, I packed my things up and Angenette PUSHED the entire thing with me on it with what little tiny juice the battery had helping to the next bank of U-Scan machines (which was busy) so we could properly check out. There was no way to make it to a lane with a real person checking out at all. Thank you, Kroger lady, for protecting your empty U-Scan from disabled people with dying carts. On the other hand, since the thing died completely there at the checkout, we had to leave the thing right there, although Brandon pushed it back out of the way a couple of feet. So at least they had to deal with it.

I have not had trouble with the machines at Tates Creek, but I have at Richmond Road now twice. Last time I talked to a manager who said they had trouble when it was busy or on Senior Day (it was rush hour, but not on a Senior Day that day). Today it was the middle of the day and should have been fine. They seriously need to do something. The thing I objected to last time is both carts I had were showing full charge and within five minutes would show empty. This cart didn't have a very high tech display, and at least ALMOST made it. Because of my last experience, we were actually going to get a push wheelchair cart, but that wasn't available. I think they have one for the whole mega-marketplace store. Note to self, do not try to go on the first Wednesday of the month (I think that's when Senior Day is) ever, if you're in need of an electric or wheelchair cart.

But on balance the day was okay. Tomorrow I'm not going out after all (that was one of the disappointments), and I don't have another doctor's appointment for a couple of weeks, so I don't know when I'll be out again. I may have to get some groceries at some point. So until then it's just me, my apartment, and maybe the occasional visitor.

No comments: