Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 16, 2012

I couldn't find my Roku remote anywhere

And wanted to watch something on Netflix. Fortunately my tablet has the Roku application, which among other things allows you to use it to remote control the box. :) YKWIA had asked me to watch a show from 1969 called 'HR Puffnstuf'. I liked it a lot as a child, although I saw it mostly in re-runs, as it came out when I was 2, whereas YKWIA was older and adored it. It was one of the Sid & Marty Kroftt shows, with a boy and a magic flute trapped on an island being sought by an evil witch. Some of the things are very non-politically correct (the redwood tree is an Indian who says 'how!' and that sort of thing, the east wind is Asian and well, let's just say this probably wouldn't have been made these days, but it was normal at the time, and the show is still fun.

Now I'm listening to Pandora over the TV/Roku, a Loreena McKennitt channel, specifically 'Bonny Portmore' from the album The Visit. The sunlight is shining throught the window and the mail carrier just drove up.

It's been a good day. I did some of my exercises after I got up. I've started two books (yes, I am actually reading again). One is called The Diviners by Libba Bray, and is set in 20s New York and involves an occult murder investigation. Another is a young adult novel called The Sound and the Echoes by Dew Pellucid (obviously a pen-name). It has as a premiss that there is the material world, Sound, and a somewhat aethereal world of Echo. Every Sound has a counterpart in Echo, and if one dies in Sound, the Echo must die, according to those who police Echo. A young boy in Sound is hunted by the forces of Echo in an attempt to kill him, for that will force the Echo prince to die.

I need to do my other exercises, but otherwise have a clear agenda until Monday. So I guess it will be mostly reading or watching TV. I wish I were at work. But I guess it's good to have some free time for awhile.

Okay, I guess I'll go see if anything of import came in the mail.

No comments: