Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, November 12, 2012

I spoke to my mom tonight

and it looks like Thanksgiving is officially cancelled in our family. My stepfather's mother is elderly and can't negotiate the stairs. His sister is in a wheelchair. My grandmother and I are in wheelchairs and/or walkers, and their stairs are too difficult to deal with/the house isn't particularly handicapped accessible. So it looks like my mom is going to bring something over to my grandmother and call me from there, so we can talk at least. In 45 years, I've never missed celebrating Thanksgiving with some family member (when I was married, it was sometimes both families). There was one year my dad was stationed away from us and my mom and I had turkey TV dinners, but we always tried to do something.

No comments: