Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 07, 2011

So tired

Tonight after the game, the game master called me to see what I thought of it. We talked for about an hour or more, and then my phone and I gave out. I was nodding off in conversation, despite an attack of the hiccups. I was really too tired to inject myself with insulin. So I left everything as it was, plugged in my phone--which was totally dead, and set my bedside alarm for two hours later. It took about a half hour to wake up. So here I am, having taken my insulin, having a bite to eat and drinking the rest of the soda I'd poured earlier. I find that diet orange soda, even when it is no longer fizzy, is not so bad.

It was a good game. I think we're making slow progress on the campaign. But I got up at 5:30 this morning with something like four hours' sleep because I got so keyed up thinking about the game I couldn't sleep for two hours of the time I was trying. Granted, that's about on par for a Saturday night, but still. Plus it was grocery day.

LexTran rolled out their new fareboxes this morning, as a trial run for the official opening day of Monday. It should be interesting. Dollars go in like a vending machine, and transfers are not merely handed to the bus driver but are put in the machine for authentication. According to our bus driver, if the bus loses power and the fare machine doesn't come back online, the bus won't work and will have to be switched out. But they're apparently pretty reliable. Still, it was odd not to have the rattle of the old boxes that sometimes swayed on their post a bit.

Something has bitten me on my arm, and there's a raised itchy place. It looks like a spider bite. A friend who is arachnophobic took great delight in this, as I attract them like flies and have a religious proscription against killing spiders, so I tend to cup them in my hand and take them outside, knowing, as he puts it, that they'll crawl right back in.

Okay, I feel vaguely alive again. I'm going to try to go back to sleep. I doubt that will be hard. Good night.

No comments: