Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Today's Unshelved

reminds me of a good friend, who does not read. I find it sad that he does not read, but of course, it is a lifestyle choice. Instead, he watches pundits on TV and little snippets of news stories without any real substance, and considers himself informed when he parrots what he hears back. The only thing he reads is the Herald-Leader newspaper and anything to do with sports. I'm not sure he's been in a library his entire adult life.

Nor does he read on the Internet, just in case you're thinking books are not some people's thing. He is the only person I know who doesn't surf the net other than my grandmother. But he is my age.

Ironically, he lives in a house where he is surrounded by books because he married a bibliophile. But of all the books, I think he owns two, and at least one of those were given to him. I'm not sure he has actually read those; even with the newspaper he skims.

It is to mourn, for he is missing out on not one whole other world, but two, by eschewing books and the Internet.

No comments: