Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Well, I got the notes started, unheard of on a Wednesday

Plus I downloaded Firefox 4, updated both Adobe Reader and Windows, and did some basic backing up and other computer maintenance. I wish I could figure out how to get a friend's computer to run as fast as mine has been, at least on the Internet. I'd love to download Firefox onto his system, but he's rather resistant to change. Maybe I can at least convince him to go for Internet Explorer 9. It might speed up things a bit. I don't think there's a huge difference in our computers, but he runs on Vista and I run on Windows 7 x64, so that's probably a big part of it. But a change in browser might help.

It's just a little after 9 pm. This evening seems to be going by rather slowly. I think I'll go do some reading [I'm still working on A Discovery of Witches, and the slowness isn't because it's not a good read, because it is, but I find my reading just isn't as voracious as it used to be. I peter out towards the end of the night. Plus, I skip around and read other things. Welcome to attention deficit disorder. :)]

1 comment:

Bob said...

Differences in computer and internet speeds can be caused by many different issues: spyware/viruses, insufficient memory, connection speeds, etc. If his computer runs slowly both on the internet and doing non-internet tasks, I'd suspect insufficient memory; if the user isn't in the habit of doing Windows/antivirus updates and has no anti-spyware program installed, I'd suspect viruses/spyware; internet connection speeds vary according to the provider. Typically, phone DHS systems are slower than cable modems, and even cable providers such as Time Warner have various options to increase internet speed, usually with an accompanying price increase.

In summary: see about adding memory; check for viruses/spyware; inquire about faster connection speed with his internet provider.