Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 14, 2011

Today I have

  1. Woken up dreaming of nuclear reactor explosions before finding out another one had happened (although I was probably just reacting to news of the first blast). Let's hope there won't be a complete meltdown in any of the reactors at risk. Partial ones sound scary enough.
  2. Called Cooley Medical and asked for a new masque for my CPAP machine to be sent to me (my old one's straps are about to snap. It's three years old and I can get a new one every year). It's difficult with my schedule to go out on the bus to South Broadway after 9 but before 10:30, so I'm having them mail it to me. Thank you, Cooley Medical!
  3. Called my doctor's office so they'll expect a fax from the medical supply company and can fax a prescription back for the masque.
  4. Monitored the situation in Japan and gotten quite depressed over it. I feel so bad for them.
  5. Done a couple of things on the computer for friends.
  6. Excavated 3/4 of the living room, meaning I can now do yoga on the floor and sit in the comfy chair.
  7. Rearranged the living room a bit for more floorspace.
  8. Spent some time on Facebook connecting with friends (but no games--they are time sinks).
  9. Gotten the aquarium pump running correctly again, changed the media in the filter, and added some water to the tank. Will clean it out thoroughly in a couple of days.
  10. Napped for a short time.
  11. Listened to Ella Fitzgerald with the little lightning ball on audio (I've had the thing for 20 years and it still works. I dragged it down from atop one of the bookcases when I started working on the living room Saturday).
  12. Figured out my finances through June.
Tomorrow I need to:
  1. Get up early (as opposed to late this morning; I'm not handling Daylight Savings Time well, but that's an annual issue).
  2. Do yoga with my Rodney Yee VHS AM Yoga tape.
  3. Pick up my prescriptions.
  4. Go to work.
  5. Work on the living room some more.
  6. Do some laundry.
  7. Take out the trash and recyclables again.
  8. Pick up a UPS package from the leasing office. I have no idea what it is; there's no indication of the sender.
  9. Fill out my IRS paperwork and send it in.
  10. Start early on the game notes since I have something to do on Saturday and I need some inspiration for how to approach the game next Sunday.
Speaking of that, one other thing I'm a bit depressed over is the Call of Cthulhu game on Sunday. We're doing a nigh-impossible campaign involving two of the biggest cultists we've ever come up against. We've lost all our mystical powers due to superintelligent cultist know-how and technology (usually cultists are a bit obsessed with old books, and are shaky on the modern world--not these). We came up against one of them in this session. One of my characters was extremely evenly matched and the other person she was fighting made a critical and sliced her throat. She nearly bled out. So she's out for the count and may have long-lasting consequences. In retrospect there were a couple of things I could have done that might have changed that completely, but hindsight is always 20/20, and my mind doesn't work particularly well under combat, even if it's not real. That leaves a character who's very new and doesn't have all the advantages the other does, and if the one was so easily taken out, it doesn't bode well for my baby character. Meanwhile, Brenda only has one character left out in the world to fight the apocalypse with, we're down to I think two player characters and two non-player characters, and don't really know what the next step is. I hate this campaign (I dislike most of them, but this one has been brutal, taking out a whole slew of things we took for granted in the game). The game master has waited 12 years to run it, knowing that he was going to tear the foundations of our game world asunder with it. It's called The Fungi from Yuggoth and is actually a very small book from the early days of Call of Cthulhu. The Mi-Go (the Fungi from Yuggoth) do make an appearance, but so far just about every other major Cthulhoid creature has either been in it or at least been mentioned. I just don't know if we're going to get through this one. We've been playing this one game for 20 years now. I'd hate to see it end in a post-apocalyptic mess. But I still have hope.

Keep your video games. My pencil-and-dice game gives me plenty more adrenaline rushes, an imaginative, full-blown, intricate game world, and real role-playing. But this is one of the most frustrating campaigns we've ever had. On the plus side, I'm no longer in charge, so we have a small chance of winning. :) I just don't lead into battle well.

Okay, I think I'm going to listen to a little more of Ella Fitzgerald and sit down in the comfy chair and read for a bit before going to bed.

No comments: