Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Encouraging

Drug prevents Type 2 diabetes in majority of high-risk individuals

Of course, I'm way past that stage, but I am on the drug, Actos. I made my doctor take me off of Avandia and this was the logical replacement, as it is in the same class (chance of congestive heart failure like Avandia, but not linked to heart attacks). I must say, though, the insulin has done the best for me. When I go next he may take me off of some of the oral meds.

However, it sounds like it is a good possibility for those considered insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. For years before I had diabetes, I had insulin resistance syndrome, also called metabolic syndrome, and had low blood sugar attacks. I spent several years on metformin, which may have delayed the crossover to diabetes. Of course, I had all the same tests done when I was 19 and they just didn't know about insulin resistance back then, although they told me I might have trouble getting pregnant (due to polycystic ovarian syndrome and the androgen levels). Just that--no real counseling. It wasn't even a doctor who broke it to me, just some woman in scrubs whom I presume was a nurse. They just put me on birth control pills, which helped with the androgen issue but not the underlying insulin resistance. The good news was at the time I desperately needed to be on birth control pills and then later the idea of having a baby pretty much receded and I decided it was for the best because 1) I don't want to pass on my health issues, 2) I have enough emotional issues that I don't see myself as a good parent, and I don't want to pass on anything that will require therapy later, 3) I've never been financially stable enough to have a family, and 4) we already have enough people cranking out babies in this world, don't you think?

No comments: