Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 05, 2011

The demise of Philanthropy Friday

It was a good idea, but I have come to grips with the fact that my bills and debts are such that for now, at least, I cannot contribute much of anything, despite the fact that there are good charities out there that need help. If that changes, I'll try to revive it.

Besides, I had a very interesting conversation on the implications of charity for the giver and receiver with a friend the other day, and I have to admit I need to review my reasons for giving and how I give, which ways charity can be given so that the receiver does not feel anxious or ashamed rather than empowered by the gift. My friend pointed out that the giver feels good from giving, but the receiver often doesn't feel good about themselves for having to rely on charity. That doesn't mean we shouldn't give. There are ways to go about things to change that. For example, supporting a medical mission like Doctors Without Borders is different, because they provide medical care to everyone in an area in need, and although it's free, it's so necessary and not given in a way to produce guilt or anxiety. Anyway, I'd like to regroup, get my finances in order, and cogitate on just how to go about giving in the first place. Also, although I had certain reservations of being public about donations on this blog, I thought perhaps I could inspire others to do a little philanthropy, too. But maybe I'm just trying to feel good about myself. I've got to think that out, too.

Anyway, for now, no more giving until I'm okay and not worried about food or rent or basics. The tax bill is taking a large chunk out of my disposable income, and the garnishment has put me behind. I think I'll catch up by the end of April, but things often don't work out like I think they will, so don't hold me to it.

No comments: