Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What a massive regulatory failure (and if true, a horrible man)

'House of horrors' alleged at abortion clinic: Doctor charged with killing patient, 7 babies; no staff had medical training

Words fail me. I am pro-choice, but these were illegal abortions and allegedly, downright murder of living, breathing infants in many cases. The allegations include extremely late abortions and also inducing labour, producing live children whose spinal cords were cut with scissors. Techniques were used to delude women concerning the length of their pregnancies. The wife (a cosmetologist) supposedly performed them one day a week, and the place reeked of cat urine and had horrific sterilisation practices and no medical training beyond the doctor (who was not even an OB/GYN). Unfortunately, I suspect as abortions get harder and harder to come by safe and legally, people like Dr Gosnell will cash in on performing illegal abortions for desperate women in similar circumstances, and there will be more deaths as a result.

PS Mea culpa. The grammar gods should strike me down for the use of 'fail' as a noun. Although it has become commonplace today, it is, indeed, incorrect, as YKWIA pointed out to me. Fail is a verb; failure a noun. I am embarrassed that someone as touchy about grammar as I would use a word in such a way. I will avoid its usage in the future.

No comments: