Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 08, 2011

When I had that NY Times subscription

on my Kindle, I was struck that each day they listed those who were killed in Afghanistan (and there was a rare day when no one was). Often, the men and women listed were from the 101st Airborne Division, which is based in Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

101st Suffers Deadliest Combat Year Since Vietnam

They arrived in Afghanistan in February 2010. Since that time 106 members of the division have been killed, surpassing those killed in Iraq.

My thoughts are with their families, and with other servicemen and women--and those left behind--during such a difficult time. I know three people personally whose husband or son have been or are in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

I was a child of the Vietnam War whose father spent most of the first six years of my life in southeast Asia. There is one picture of me (I'm about 2) with my finger pointing at his picture. My mother always thought it looked like I was asking, 'Is this my Daddy?'

War is awful--horrendous on those in the battle zone and agonising for those left behind. I wish we could end this conflict easily and just bring them all home. I just don't think that is possible at this juncture, though.

No comments: