Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I knew this day would come


Got these at the doctor's today. I don't know if you can really see what they are, but they are:

  • a Lantus® SoloSTAR® injection pen
  • a box of 50 needle pen tips
  • a take home kit containing glucose tablets, needle pen tips, lancets, alcohol swabs, and a whole bunch of information on how to inject insulin glargine (long acting insulin).

My doctor and a nurse showed me how to use it. It looks pretty easy, although of course I hate needles, but at least it isn't an actual syringe. He didn't want to take me off Abilify because my mood is so good, and stable. He did up my Strattera a bit. I also have an appointment now for a bone density scan.

On a brighter note, I went by my podiatrist's office and an incredibly helpful woman named Audrey (who is, incidentally, also in a boot) put foam around the offending edges of mine, then took an old boot that they couldn't charge for anymore and switched out the lining (which is taller than mine) so there's more cushion as well. She also gave me new straps from that boot, the thing you blow the boot up with (I'd lost mine) and a whole lot of those little padding inserts. She also gave me some surgical booties like they cover shoes with in the OR to see if I could get them over mine (they work well for her to keep out the wet, but mine is blockier, so we were having trouble). Even so, the fact that the cannibalised boot was larger means there was excess fabric in the liner to tuck over my toes and keep out the snow. Today was a much better boot-wearing experience as a result of this, and I was able to go without the hand towel, so it was more comfortable. I almost forgot to go since I had insulin and needles on the brain--I was halfway out to the bus stop and then realised I was supposed to stop next door and then had to go all the way back up there. :)

I'm home early today for a couple of reasons, so I wasn't actually at work that long today. Now I'm in and warm and snuggy, and I had some wonderful kidney bean curry that came with a CD of percussion instruments of India. I think I'm going to take a short nap and then get up and try to do something about my living room.

No comments: