From the website:
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- AMBER stands for “America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response” and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, kidnapped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered.
- 76% of abducted children who are murdered are dead within 3 hours of the abduction, 88.5% are dead within 24 hours, and 99% are dead within 7 days.
- 443 children have been reunited with their families because of AMBER Alerts.
- Nearly 100% of cell phones are eligible to receive Wireless AMBER Alerts as text messages.
- 100% of computers can have the AMBER Alert ticker downloaded onto them.
- AMBER Alerts are active in all 50 states.
As mentioned the other day, Facebook is also now a source of AMBER alerts. All 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands have an AMBER Alert Facebook page. Just search out that page and either 'like' or join to get the alerts.
In Kentucky, just as an aside, our lottery machines send out alerts. I discovered this when I was a gas station attendant. I think this is marvelous. Of course many places put it on the radio, TV, and even signs on the freeway as well. We are all responsible for the safety of children, and collectively we can help protect them from harm. Be sure you have the tools to know when an abduction has occurred. You never know when you can make a difference.