Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 14, 2011

In a comparative religion mood, I guess

I've been listening to Jesus Christ, Superstar at work (I had to put it on today--a student was watching an old VHS tape with one of our former doctors on it and his voice was soothing to the point of hypnotic. Rock opera can counteract this immensely.) I had noticed one of my recommended books for the Kindle was an Interlinear Latin-English Vulgate New Testament. It was nice that they credited Jerome as the author. I saw a few New Testaments for the Kindle that had God as the author.

In the interest of being ecumenical, I looked for a good Tanakh (the Jewish scriptures, which are (mostly) the books the Christians call the 'Old Testament'). There were several, although I couldn't find an interlinear Hebrew one (that would have been great). I did find a version of one that we used in class (I was a Judaic Studies minor.) It is considered one of the best modern translations out there.

Next I found a copy of the Qu'ran that was quite reasonable and highly rated. I've never read it (unlike the other two).

I have several of the Indian texts such as the Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana, etc. (that collection even came with the Kama Sutra). :) I also have Babylonian, Greek, and Aegyptian texts. So I've got a nice collection of religious texts on the Kindle, most of which were very little price-wise. I love having this sort of thing at my fingertips.

Okay, I'm going to check the news and then do some reading. If I don't get back here tonight, good night.

No comments: