Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 07, 2011

Believe it or not, I had heard about this before

but it's a particularly good time to bring it up, and of course, it happened in my own state...

You think birds falling from the sky is weird?

Flocks of birds falling en masse from the sky in Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky and even Sweden is strange, but these mysterious mass deaths don’t hold a candle to the “Kentucky Meat Shower” of 1876 when it comes to avian oddities.

“Flesh Descending in a Shower. An Astounding Phenomenon in Kentucky – Fresh Meat Like Mutton or Venison Falling From A Clear Sky,” read the headline in the New York Times on March 10, 1876.

Of course, the reason I knew about it is all those books about the unexplained and paranormal I've read since I was a kid (I loved 'In Search Of...', too) :)

No comments: