Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

May I just say how much I really appreciate

those people in my life who are truly empathetic, wonderful, supportive. I just spoke with someone a little while ago who quite frankly has the empathy of the rock (Dwana, can you guess who?) who butted into a conversation I was having with someone else and then got defensive when I used the tone appropriate with people who bulldoze over other people's feelings in a race to get sympathy of their own. The sad thing is that I think she really does believe she is being supportive, and she also confuses a degree with psychology with actually understanding other people, and she doesn't have a clue that she annoys those around her by making inappropriate comments, dismissing anyone else's problems--what, you've had surgery and almost died, well, let me tell you how much pain my back's been giving me, that sort of thing--trying to herd everyone around to do what she wants and control them, monitoring what they eat or what they do, and generally being a pest. And that's just at work. Heaven help her family. :)

No comments: