Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 08, 2004

Ohhhhhhhh

I should know by now that if I get off on my Paxil a migraine will eventually ensue. Apparently a lack of serotonin can cause one. I've been a little dizzy and nauseous most of the afternoon, and I got carsick going to a candle party in Winchester and back. But...it's not too bad so long as I don't move--the computer monitor's not bothering me, but car lights and flashing lights did. I think I should be able to sleep off most of the effects, and hopefully the Paxil will be firmly in my system by morning.

The candle party was fun, even if I couldn't really buy anything--although I did get some door prizes. The food was great, and we really had a good group. I got to meet J's cat...she has two but like me she has the phantom cat. The big grey one though was very friendly and playful.

I'm quite proud of myself--I made it through a book fair and a candle party without spending money I don't have. D and I are going to host a party in June. (Yay, freebies!) I also requested info on becoming a consultant...unlike some products, candles are meant to be used and replenished, after all. You can work as much or as little as you want without a lot of committment of your own resources, too, unlike some of these direct sales. If I understood right, there's a decent commission...25%...on a normal volume it's not hard to make about $100 a party--about $25 an hour. Usually it's people you know at least tentatively and their guests, so I think I could do that. I've gotten pretty good at networking, which is the backbone of the business. And, it's a tried and true 'work-at-home' business that doesn't involve overhead, fees, pyramid schemes, etc. On the other hand, you only have to do a little research online to realise that some people have had negative experiences. So I'm not going to make a decision until I've done my homework. Most of the problems seem to be the result of miscommunication or problems with certain individuals. Well, see. Like I said, I'm exploring the concept.

I may or may not have some good news about adding hours at work in another position tomorrow. I should find out one way or another if I got it. I think a lot will depend on whether they feel it would interfere with my library duties. I'll understand if that won't work out, but if it will it would really help make ends meet for now, and there are a lot of benefits to hiring me rather than someone from the outside, especially as the hours are probably not enough to make it benefit-eligible, and that's not an issue for me, since I already have my 20 hours in the library per week. I'll write more tomorrow regardless of the outcome.

I just had some of the last leftovers of the Ethiopian food...I'm probably pushing the window in terms of freshness, but lentils and bread generally aren't bad unless they mould, and it's certainly nowhere near that. Indeed, it's quite nummy, and the bit of spice perked me up a bit. Since it'll probably be awhile before I get back to the Queen of Sheba, I think I'm going to pick up some teff flour from the Co-op (yay for birthday gift certificates) and check out some recipes online. It's too good not to eat on a regular basis.

It's midnight and it's in the 60s outside, and my cats are loving the open air. So are D's. When we came back to her house her cat was perched in the window (all 23 lbs of him...that's more than half the size of my dog). Speaking of pets, Spock and Darius are apparently having a tiff, so I've got to run. 'Night.