Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Ah, another myth busted...

A friend mentioned that a friend of hers had found a website discussing US Presidential IQs, of which our current Commander-in-Chief ranked dead last. It is, unfortunately, a spoof that went too far. Check out Urban Legends Reference Pages: Inboxer Rebellion (Presidential IQ) for the full scoop.

Still, I have to admit, as mucked up as IQ tests and scores are, it's an interesting concept. Hmmmmm. Check out an interesting analysis of presidents' intelligence, social skills, ambition and emotional quotient. They also have an interesting graph on average IQs for a variety of occupations. I didn't see librarian listed, but it was sort of interesting. Just keep in mind that these are just averages. There's also one where you can estimate IQ based on SAT scores (that helped them reach a score of 125 for GW Bush). Still, I don't put much credence in it...unless my memory's way off, according to that I should have scored a SAT score about 170 points higher than I did (it was the math, I tell you!) Speaking of which, there's also a section on gender differences.

I like the more modern approach to an overall skill level. Some of the smartest people didn't finish school, and I know some supposedly genius-level people who couldn't make it through simple English classes because they were bored. So, go figure. I like the different style of 'smarts'. I'd also add mechanical ability and artistic ability as important.

No comments: