Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 03, 2004

I feel absolutely overwhelmed...in a good way

This year has been a whirlwind of activity surrounding my birthday. I'm certainly not lonely! Having visited my family last weekend and then spent time in various group and one-on-one activities, I'm tired but definitely feel loved. Today I was taken to see Hellboy--which is, for anyone who doesn't understand the Lovecraftian role-playing game I sometimes talk about, a very similar sort of setting. We tend to fight lots of tentacled-things from other worlds and rely on physical skills, innate abilities, and holy objects to fight the good fight. Ron Perlman was wonderful as Hellboy, and I loved the voice characterisation of David Hyde-Pierce for Abe, the aquatic sapient. I thought the role of Liz was a little weak, but it was a good action film. It's not one of the comic titles I've read--most of mine were DC Vertigo--but I spoke to one of the guys at the gaming store who's a big fan and he loved it; he saw it twice yesterday and although certain parts of the story had been changed, he thought it actually flowed better than in the comics. I was also treated to a gardenburger at Backyard Burger and Elizabeth Peters' (my favourite mystery writer) latest Amelia Peabody novel...which goes back to the 'missing years' of the saga and is a second foray into the lost oasis of The Last Camel Died at Noon, which is probably my absolute favourite of the series. Thank you so much...you know who you are. And thank you, the rest of you, who in a very difficult year--and a seemingly impossible turn of age...37!--helped make this birthday wonderful. I'm happy for the gifts, but even more so, I'm glad for the company.

It was a perfect spring day, and in retrospect I'm glad for the sunny weather today, when I'm off work and can enjoy it, even if it did rain on my actual birthday. The nearly-full moon is rising bright and beautiful, and it looks like Venus is setting along with the sun, given how bright the evening star is.

That's enough for now, I think...since I have been running around, visiting other cities, out most of the day, finishing assignments, and doing dog-bathing, I think it's time to curl up with my own mainstays--my kitties and Cerys--and have some quality nap time.

No comments: