Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 05, 2004

Monday Madness

1. What makes your country special? That despite its faults, it is still one place on Earth that your status at birth--gender, race, socio-oeconomic stratum, etc. means little compared to what you do with your life, and that for the most part everyone has the freedom to pursue their own potential.

2. What makes your hometown special? It's full of history--whether pioneering surgeons, nearby Civil War battles, or constitutional ascendancy; it has a wonderful liberal arts college, it has a 'pioneer playhouse' dinner theatre that has been going strong for decades; it has a top-notch school for the deaf and two high that have recently ruled state championships; and...it has more doctors per capita than many towns could boast.

3. What makes your neighbourhood special? Although it's within New Circle Road--and thereby in the interior of the city--it has a large wooded park, the estate of statesman Henry Clay, a children's hospital with a large, green lawn, a golf course, a reservoir, and a house surrounded by woods...meaning that the ample water and cover gives it a park-like setting with many animals and birds.

4. And your loved ones--what is it about them??? My family comes primarily from farmers and ministers who suffered hard work and setbacks to reach a point where those in my parents' generation and beyond could attend college and work in a variety of professions. They embody the American dream. This keeps me grounded yet striving to live that dream. Meanwhile, my friends are very special in their own right. They urge me to examine my life, find my flaws, and overcome them, and most importantly, they believe in me.

5. And finally you - what is it that is unique about you...??? I think the most likely thing is what psychologists call insight...something that was hard won after years of informal and formal therapy. Most people go through life pretty much as it comes. I ask why things have unfolded as they have and how I can change whatever aspect of myself or my situation I am unhappy with. It has enabled me to become a good listener and--believe it or not--counselor as well.

No comments: