Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 12, 2004

Ah, Monday, and it's positively dreary outside...

One of the The first things I did today was withdraw my application for a security position at work:
Dear ---,

I hate to do this after starting the process, but I'm withdrawing my application for the security position. I met with --- on Friday and I'm confident that I could do a good job in terms of the rounds and watching out for various problems. Oddly enough, the hardest thing for me, I think, would be the sheer regimented nature of it.

However, after speaking with --- on Friday I realised just how much unresolved frustration I have with [the company], particularly due to the erosion of my position and the layoff. Picking up work here is not really going to resolve that, and I realise that now. So far I've been able to continue to do my job and serve the needs of the organisation, but I can't erase the betrayal felt or the fact that I really no longer enjoy working here. After thinking it over this weekend, I don't think visitors need someone putting on a 'brave face' when I'm no longer certain I really believe completely in [the company] anymore. I need to put all my efforts into finding a position outside of our system in order to be truly happy with doing a job well again. I know money has been desperate, but frankly I think picking up another part-time job somewhere else would be better for me, and by extension, for [the company]. I hope you understand. Thank you for considering me, though.
He was very gracious and understood; someone in his family was another of the 'layees'.

Then I called the vet and discussed the situation with them. I made an appointment for Thursday and then promptly went into the bathroom and cried. It's going to be a hard week.

So, in an effort to take my mind off things I've thrown myself into work but now I'm taking my break, and so...it's time for Monday Madness:
Let's do something with colors this week....Each question will begin with 'What color is your favorite.......'

1. Vegetable Green, occasionally yellow or white. Very nummy, although it's not high on most people's list. Can you guess what they are? I'm tempted to say 'red', but technically that's a fruit, even if most people think of it as a vegetable.
2. Beverage Orange.
3. Room Deep honey.
4. Outfit Purple (of course).
5. Mood Sky blue.
6. Season Multi-coloured with lots of delicate pastels and bold colours.
7. Fruit Brown and green with a little black.
8. Dessert Caramelly-cream
9. Pair of shoes Black. (Actually, 2 of the 3 are, indeed, black. There's one that's brown.) :)
10. Color???? Purple

No comments: