Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 30, 2004

Ah, well, tomorrow was actually another day

listening to: 'I Ain't Got No Home' from an album called Folkways: A Shared Vision, which is Various Artists but this sound like it's Bruce Springsteen; 'I Hung My Head' by Johnny Cash
feeling: Pretty nice, actually

Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had in a while; in the whirlwind of busy-ness (as opposed to business) I've had over the last couple of weeks, I apparently:
  1. Forgot to take my Paxil. For days, and I'm not sure for how long. It may have been as many as four or five.
  2. I'd apparently set up a payment date for my phone, but it was the day after I put Buns down, and somehow with that on my mind instead, I thought I'd set up a payment itself. So I'd had to run over early yesterday before work and pay it.
  3. I'd thought I had until Friday to pay my electric bill (and since I was getting paid on Thursday and Friday, that was good). I was wrong. I came home last night to a very dark house. Eeeeeekkkk! I will say one thing for KU, though, they had it on in 20 minutes flat after I called in the payment last night. At least I had the phone back. :)
  4. I had the aforementioned run-in with the co-worker, which I'd like to put down to hormones and lack of meds, but really, upon reflection, I was completely justified in my reaction.


Good things about yesterday...
  1. I did take my Paxil.
  2. I went over to the university with Dwana and sat outside her class reviewing my Hebrew. The guest speaker for her class did a very nice overview of Islam, and I got to listen to it. He was very good at explaining differences between American Muslims and Muslims overseas, the different ethnicities involved, Islam's relationship with Judaism and Christianity, and religion's attitudes towards women, in an objective manner. Then Dwana treated me to half-price appetizers at Applebee's, we went to Baskin & Robin's free scoop night (yay, Nutty Coconut!), and then went out to the farm where her graduation reception is going to be and got the grand tour. (It's a beautiful home that one of our co-worker's family bought when it was all but falling down, without electricity or water (it was built about 1810) and totally refurbished.) And, they have a bed of Belle Brezing's (Lexington's famous madam, who was supposedly the basis of the madam in Gone With the Wind and the house is supposedly haunted by ghostly children. I love homes with a history. This one also has a shower for two with 9-foot ceilings. :) It's also for sale in case you're in the market for a small horse farm.


Today has been better, which is good because whereas Dwana was having a good day yesterday and could help me through my issues, things reversed a little today. But her day improved, too. She even got a standing ovation from the parking office when she went to pay a ticket before graduating and they looked at her history and it came up with only one over her entire undergraduate and graduate career. I take it that it was a slow day at UK Parking. :)

I came home and took a nap and built a moonbase on the computer and then worked on a job application and got it ready to print off and send tomorrow. It's for a youth services librarian position at a public library and I think I have a very good shot at it. It's not in Lexington, but it's not a long drive, and I've done that commute before when I worked for the state.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to apply for another job that's in Louisville. On the one hand, it's a lot of database development and cataloguing, which was my original training, and it's at the American Printing House for the Blind, which is non-profit yet federally and state mandated, so it probably wouldn't suffer some of the woes we've undergone lately at my current job. I think it would be ideal in many ways, except for the commute, because that's 3 hours a day, and I don't really want to live in Louisville; I really prefer Lexington and of course I wouldn't be able to see my friends as often. It's also primarily interstate driving and then dealing with Spaghetti Junction, and I learnt a long time ago when I was shuttling back and forth to Cincinnati during my grandmother's illness (and that was once a week) that I tend to have issues with road hypnosis. I scared myself badly a few times by nearly falling asleep. Granted I was in school, working almost full-time, and dealing with a grandmother who was dying of cancer on top of that, but still....I may go ahead and apply and then if called for an interview see how the drive goes, and see if the salary could handle the cost of gas and increased wear and tear on a vehicle.

Do any of you have that kind of commute, or have you done it on a regular basis? How bad is it, really?

No comments: