Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Okay, let me get this straight...

I pay taxes for the general welfare of the Commonwealth, but Kentucky lawmakers are likely to adjourn the 2004 General Assembly without passing a state budget but seemed to have plenty of time to while away on issues they have no business in, as shown by the fact that a same-sex marriage ban passed in the House.

Right.

And even if I didn't support gay marriage, I would agree with this:
"I will never vote to put discrimination in the Kentucky Constitution," said Democratic Rep. Mary Lou Marzian of Louisville, her voice rising with anger.
I think using the constitution to prop up some sense of defence of marriage is wrong; so is incorporating a ban on civil unions. But even beyond that...

Um, guys? We have issues like the budget, unemployment, education, roads--a whole slew of issues that affects everyone in the Commonwealth. As one of your bosses, I'd urge you to learn to prioritise. Kentucky law already prohibits same-sex marriages, for one. Why waste precious time on a divisive issue that is already addressed by law? Why not work for the people of the Commonwealth and pass laws that will improve our state and the quality of life for her people? Just an idea.

No comments: