Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

It's bad when you cry when they give you a raise...

We weren't supposed to get any raise at all this year, although they did give us all about $175 as a one-time payment back in March. Turns out, things are better than they thought they would be, and we'll get a 2% merit increase starting May 9th.

Of course, that's great; it comes out to maybe $70 extra a month for me. But considering the fact that I'm trying to make it on fifteen less hours per week, it's only a small consolation. I feel like the little Dutch boy trying to plug holes in a flood wall, where I'm just trying to keep my apartment, my electricity, my phone (in that order) until I can find a job that will pay an average wage (as opposed to the 10% percentile I'm in now).

Of course, part of that outburst came from hormones and the fact that I had come home last night to find my phone off. I thought I had set up a payment, but I'd set up a payment date. So during the whole thing with Buns and then the couple of weeks of little sleep, I thought it had been paid, but it hadn't. So, I booked it over to Alltel this morning, went to the wrong parking area, had to pay to get out of the garage, and then coaxed the car to the gas station before it ran out completely. At least tomorrow and Friday are paydays at the two jobs, even if that is pretty much spent already. Sigh.

Still, I know that it will get better. I have utter faith that soon I will be able to make a living. I guess it's not so surprising that things will get worse before they get better. At this point, I'm just wondering if I'll have a roof over my head when I start that new job.

On a brighter note, Dwana got her research paper finished (two days early!), leaving only one take-home final due at the end of next week before she is out of school (for good). If we weren't both broke, we'd go out and celebrate tonight after her last case. Ah, well. :)

No comments: