Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 15, 2017

It is becoming fairly normal

for me to drop off to sleep between 7 pm and 9 pm only to wake up in the middle of the night. It's been incredibly busy at work. I really need to learn to balance things better--I'm messing up on taking my meds and eating right, which isn't good for someone who's diabetic. Tomorrow I don't have to get up quite so early, as I have an ophthalmology appointment at 8 am which is across the road from me, basically, and I've been getting up before 6 am to get to the medical centre before work so I can have a little time to myself before everything starts.

So I didn't hear back from the public library I visited last week, at least after the exchange after I'd sent my thank you. I would have been willing to get a better idea of their health plan, etc., before making a final decision, but most likely I'd have had to turn them down had it been offered to me, and I think she knew it. It was a perfect storm of high-deductible life insurance, two hours of driving a day (at half a tank in gas each time, which would roughly mean an hour each day working for the gasoline), at 75% of my former pay. It would work for someone who could move there, perhaps, as there is a lower cost of living there. But I wasn't in a position to do that anytime soon, and it would mean being even more tired and unlikely to have much of a life outside of work. As much as I would have loved to work in that library, I would have been haemorrhaging financially and healthwise.

So even though it isn't library-related, I went ahead and applied for a job with the department I'm doing the contract work for right now. It may mean a pay cut as well (I'm going to check with HR tomorrow for the salary range), but the benefits are really, really, good, and the health insurance is excellent. I may still eventually find a library job, of course, but in the meantime, I'd be working regularly with benefits. Still, I have to get some stamina. Today wasn't actually that bad, although we had more on the schedule than ever before, so they made sure everything went smoothly by having people from other departments run charts, etc. It worked pretty well. I managed to pick A up from the doctor's office, run an errand or two, and then come home, where I stayed up playing on Facebook for awhile before dropping off to sleep.

Speaking of which, I'm getting sleepy again. Time to go back to bed. Good night!

No comments: