Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Oh, my poor girl

I am very sad tonight. As I wrote the other night, while I have no children of my own, or even nieces or nephews, as I have no biological brothers or sisters, I am 'auntie' to furry creatures, one of whom has not been doing well. We had made plans to take her to the vet tomorrow to have her put down, as she was drinking very little, obviously hurting some, and was making her way very slowly like the little old lady that she was at sixteen years old. I let her outside for a bit earlier this evening, and went to check on her later, and found her dead. It looked like she had just passed away peacefully. I'm afraid I had a bit of an emotional breakdown. It was the first time I'd ever found a body of something or someone that I loved. After that, there was the matter of what to do with a dog of her size until we could get the body taken care of, as the vet had already closed. Plans are in motion, and phone calls were made, and I did what I could and now I'm home. I miss her already. She was a great watchdog, devoted to her pack, which included four people (Brenda she considered an absolute goddess). She was very smart, and that's why it was so hard to watch senility creep in. She was a collie shepherd, and sort of looked like a Shiloh Shepherd, the size and colouring of a German Shepherd but lighter-built and with long, flowing hair that she blew yearly and went everywhere each Spring. :) Brenda taught her to use her paw to beg for treats. It was so endearing. Not so endearing, yet sort of at the same time, was her tendency when young to take that long nose and put it under your arm and nose her way to being petted. They broke her of that years ago, but lately, she'd started doing it some. She went from being young and vibrant to older and deaf, sleeping for long periods for the first time in her life, as she'd always napped for fifteen minutes at a time, at most, ever watchful [although the raccoon incident happened during one of these rare naps]. Oh, she was such a good dog, and she was a rescue who had a great life with people who loved her dearly. I pray she's at peace, and her spirit (for I do think animals have some sort of one) is off chasing voles and enjoying herself. I am glad she died at home, with us there, and that she was out where the birds were singing and the breeze was gentle. It was a good way to go. But oh, how I wish we could have kept her young and puppy-like. My thoughts are with my friends, who loved her and gave her a home, and who are no doubt hurting tonight. It's so hard to lose a member of the family, even a four-legged one. Rest in peace. You were a very good girl, who was well loved--and loved well.

No comments: