Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

I almost died today

Not to be melodramatic, but if 1) I hadn't had good anti-lock brakes and 2) they had been going just a bit faster and had't been able to swerve into the other lane, our cars would have T-boned each other, with them doing 45-55 mph and me doing about 15-20 mph. And it would have been my fault, because I was impatient and even though I couldn't see clearly around the cars in the other turn lane, there seemed to be a lull in the traffic and I turned left right into their path. Not the brightest thing to do. Fortunately, both of us reacted well, didn't hit, and thank the Gods there wasn't another car in the far lane and the black sports car with which I almost collided had room to swerve over. We came within inches of a very nasty wreck that could have killed us both and any passengers that might have been in the other car. I am usually such a careful driver; I don't know what possessed me, really. Let's just say I've had a lot on my mind and was trying to go pick up someone with a lot of mixed emotions. But I don't intend to make that mistake again. Life is too precious to die over something stupid, or take someone else out, just because you're a bit impatient.

No comments: