Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 22, 2016

I had to use my inhaler today

and actually, while I normally use it once or twice every six months or so, I've probably used it five times in the last two weeks, once during the whole Lemon Pledge Incident, the rest at various times. I assumed at first this was because we have a very high grass pollen and moderate tree pollen count at the moment, and have for awhile. And that is probably part of it.

But this time the inhaler didn't work that well. I kept coughing. It was hard to talk. I sounded like I had bronchitis but I haven't had a cold or sinus infection, I've run no fever, I'm not feeling sick. I just can't breathe well. I even put my CPAP on for about an hour and a half to see if the filtered air helped. I've closed the windows and put the air conditioner on, finally. I talked to YKWIA on the phone a little while ago and he suggested to soaking my feet in very warm water, which acts as a vasodilator. His neighbour had mowed grass today, but the windows of the house were closed and the dogs weren't out during that, really. I'm also itching, which isn't usual with my grass allergy. (I'm allergic to just about everything outside and quite a few inside things, as well). So, I've thought about what I had or did today and the only thing unusual was that I drank some hazelnut coffee. Then it occurred to me that other day that I had walnuts, and my lips itched after I ate them. I had to take a hit on the inhaler that day, too, I think. I eat tree nuts pretty often; now I'm wondering might be developing an allergy towards them. Years ago I tested mildly to them, not enough to be considered an allergy, but not a neutral reaction. So I definitely need to talk to the allergist. If hazelnut coffee puts me into wheezy breathing and making it hard to talk for 3-4 hours, it could get worse. In the meantime, no tree nuts for me, I think. Also, I was going to make baklava and take it to work next week, but I'm thinking that might not be a good thing now. And while I have made it with peanuts (legumes, not tree nuts, not the same) for someone with a tree nut allergy, it just isn't the same; it comes out more like peanut butter between phyllo dough.

No comments: